Monday, January 14, 2013

What is my mission?


Judges 13:12 And Manoah said, “Now when your words come true, what is to be the child's manner of life, and what is his mission?” 

In Judges 13, the birth of Samson is brought to light through an angel of God.  Isn't it great that more often than not, women find it easier to believe than men, well, with the exception of Sarah who laughed when over hearing that she would bear a son at the age of 80.  Frankly I think I might have laughed too but not in a “you must be kidding” way but rather in the “they’re coming to take me away! HA HA” way.

And many times it seems as if the men in the story have a way to question their faith.  In this story, Manoah finds out from his wife he is going to be a father – because some unknown man told her.

Side note:  we find out the man’s name but the wife is always referred to as WOMAN, as if she doesn't matter.  That is a little disconcerting to me.  Without her, there would not have been a Samson. But I digress.  Let’s get back to the story.

Now, can you imagine your wife coming to you and saying something like:

Woman:  Hey, man of my dreams, love of my life, I am pregnant and I can’t drink wine with you on date night, I can’t eat all those sweet gooey things you love to buy or those great high calorie “unhealthy” foods because I will be birthing a Nazirite.  Oh and by the way, we aren’t allowed to cut his hair… EVER.  No first hair cut to be documented ever.
Manoah:  How do you know?  You have been  barren all your life. 
Woman:  A man of God told me while at our house 
Manoah:  What?  There was a man at the house?  Were you drinking when he was there?  What ELSE happened that he is so sure you are preggers? 
Woman:  If you want those answers, you better start praying buddy.

All kidding aside, Manoah actually does pray for answers and the man of God returns but this time out in the open, in a field.  Basically a conversation ensues and Manoah asks the question of the ages

12 And Manoah said, “Now when your words come true, what is to be the child's manner of life, and what is his mission?” 

This is me most of my life but the words that I usually utter is “Can you just push the fast forward button so I can see how it will all turn out? I just want to know all the pain and suffering will have a purpose and I will know that everything will be all right.”

I know this is a sign of not acting as if I put my trust in God.  I know I have not yet let go so that I can “let God” work out his plan.  I am too comfortable in my own circumstances because they are familiar.  Why add frustration to my life based on unknown factors.  This might be due in part that I have to have everything planned out in my job as a teacher and have a plan A, B and C – just in case.

What I need to do is offer up my version of Manoah and his wife’s burnt offering and just allow God to do his great works through me instead of around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment