Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Almost There, Be Steadfast

The end of the semester is in two days.  At this point in time, my guess is that parents have looked at their students grades and for some, lacking and slacking students, the outlook does not look as bright.  What has been a life of non-involved students who I know have needed assistance but refusing, is not the swampland of the kids who want to be able to see their phones, ipods, iPads, computers and the like after next Monday when they will be held for the ransom of "you need to improve your grade".

First quarter, I gave students a break and accepted missing and late work, but this quarter is not the same.  Students were given printed documentation of their individual grades at least every three weeks.  I don't think it is unreasonable to expect students to attempt to improve on their own BUT I know some students have a fear of fessing up so I emailed these same documents to the parents - but here is the rub, many of my parents refuse to give an email address and when attempting to call home, phone numbers tend to be a crap shoot.  I have found a high correlation to students who are not good at completing in-class assignments/homework and parents who have 4 or 5 different phone numbers because the phone has been cut off and they are finding a "cheaper" service.

I have resorted to not giving homework and taking a "total recall" grade at least two times a week so that I have some kind of grade that represents the level of understanding.  The problem is, I feel conflicted.  What service am I doing to these kids who barely do the minimum.  At some point in time, the dog and pony shows that keep their interest have to transition to something of their own desire to learn so they can be intelligent voters and citizens of our future.  It is exhausting.  But it is almost time to start again.  In the next five days I need to develop a new plan of attack that will challenge my students to desire to uncover information from their own perspective and be able to apply it.

Almost there.  Lord, help me to remain unshaken and steadfast, to stand my ground and expect light to get through the cracked surfaces of my students' hearts.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him

No comments:

Post a Comment